* Check Optical Power
* Check Cable, Connector, Electrical Power
* Check Settings - DNS , MTU
* Check Router, Devices . Disconenct all other devices before testing.
Usually end connections are provided by LCOs. OLTs may be vendor-locked where ONTs of same vendor only will work. So consult your LCO before you purchase your own ONU.
An ONT/ONU usually has either an APC (green) or a UPC (blue) connector. Know More about APC / UPC connectors
Ensure the connector in the fiber end and modem are of same type.
Ensure you're using high-quality factory made Cat6/6a cable and connector with good reviews.
Use a PC with 100/1000 ethernet port for measuring speed. WiFi speeds depend on the performance your AP in the modem and Mobile or WiFi devices in your hand.
Use Dual Band APs for better performance. Know more about Dual Band APs
Consult your ISP or Franchisee about the better DNS to be used. Use correct MTU value.
ONU can be configured in 2 modes - Router and Bridge Mode
Normal Home users use Router mode . WiFi also may be integrated in the device. ( Combo device - ONU, Router and WiFi in same device)
Bridge mode with separate router and Access Point (WiFi Device) offers better performance. Combo device may have lower processor and less RAM
When in Bridge mode, it will disable routing functionality and turn it into a pure ONT/ONU. Make sure to disable the Wi-Fi if any at all. Since you are now using your own router for the WAN interface.
Ensure that the devices conencted to your network has good processors and memory
See that you have not installed a bandwidth or memory eating program . Your systems must be free of malware which can make the network slow.
Check Torrent .When you are seeding a file, it means that someone is being able to download it.
If you are watching a video you need better download speed. If yo are hosting a site or sending big files, you need better upload speed. If you are a gamer, you need better ping time (latency). You may check ONT configuration, MTU value and DNS, DHCP Settings etc also.
How to improve the Wi-Fi speed?
1. Wi-Fi speed relies on the bandwidth provided by the ISP, so the simplest way is to upgrade to faster broadband.
2. Wi-Fi speed is affected by the Wi-Fi signal strength and quality. Ensure that the ONT is far away from interference sources such as TVs, microwave ovens, refrigerators, cordless phones, and Bluetooth devices, and reduce the number of obstacles between the ONT and Wi-Fi devices (such as pads, mobile phones, and laptops). You are advised to use repeaters to enhance the Wi-Fi coverage if the area is large.
3. Using the correct radio channel. Generally, the ONT selects channels adaptively. If the network is slow or the quality turns poor from time to time, you can use a Wi-Fi scanner such as Wi-Fi Stumbler or Wi-Fi Analyzer to search for the optimal channel.
4. To prevent unauthorized network access, log into the web interface of the router and select MAC address filtering based on your requirements.
5. Keep WiFi router in an open space, away from walls and corners for spreading the signal. It is radiating radio waves, like a bulb radiating light.
Wi-Fi Analyzer (Need Microsoft Account)
NetSpot Enterprise (Paid)